Welcome to October’s Work Health and Safety matters
This month we are focussing on hazards around your properties.
Hazards are not just things that you could trip over, they can include many other things to be able to keep people using your church premises safe.
- Have a think about things like cables (around your office equipment, band equipment and other areas) that could be tripping hazards, not just for adults but particularly for children. Are cables clearly marked and taped to the floor? Ensure all walkways are clear and can be easily accessed by parents with prams or by wheelchairs.
- Is the carpet in your property in good condition? Are there any areas that are threadbare or where joins are lifting causing a tripping hazard? Do you have any mats that need to be secured? Now is a good time to check these and budget for any repairs or carpet replacement.
- Do you have flower stands, candle holders or similar in your church which could be grabbed by a small child and fall over? Please ensure anything you use for these purposes are stable and secure.
- Are the toys in the creche area safe and appropriate for the children?
- Do you have any gas bottles on your church properties? These, including the hoses should be safely stored and checked for leaks.
- Check lighting inside and outside your church buildings and replace any bulbs that are out or flickering. (Are you using energy efficient globes?)
Ensure that you budget for any repairs needed, whether that be in the next financial year or after that to keep your church premises in good condition and safe for all.
Don’t forget that you can access the full yearly Work Health & Safety calendar here.
READ MORE STORIES ABOUT WHS